View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Burn on thumb is infected

I have had a burn on my thumb for about 7 or 8 months now. We had an old malfunctioning gas stove that I had to hand light with a lighter every time I cooked and kept burning my thumb in the same spot It had gotten infected but I'd never punctured it so it could drain. It became sore and red and had a white head on the end of my thumb. I finally got a sewing needle sterilized it in alcohol and popped it the other night. It must have been a pretty deep burn because I've never seen so much pus come out of anything. It drained, I soaked it in salt water and squeezed more out to try to make sure all the infection was out. My husband says there is probably a cavity in my thumb that allowed that to stay infected and pus filled for so long and will take a while to heal.
It is looking red today and a little sore, it was starting to look a lot better when I had the neosporin and covering it with a bandaid but It looked like it was healing so I quit with the neosporin and didn't put a bandaid back on it now its turning red and sore again. I opened it back up where I punctured it and more pus came out, nothing to the extent of the first time but its obviously still infected.
What home care can I do to help this heal properly? I don't have insurance and can't go to the doctor for this.