View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
(female)

GenGen* HB User
Re: Relationship OCD or something else?

I have a story for you. I hope it helps.

I have been pummeled with much doubt, and I have tended to think most of the time it really has been OCD, or perhaps a mild anxiety disorder. I believe so because I could not do my work or concentrate very much or even have a normal conversation with someone without struggling with the interruption of unwanted thoughts in my head. It has circulated and continues to circulate my relationship. I've been with my boyfriend for two years, and we're both really happy! We really are, and if I just focus on that, it works wonders. Then again, it doesn't always work. I get very emotional, and one must please understand one's mind may have OCD-like tendecies and generally attach themselves to negative thoughts.

What I did was to try and not look at it as OCD, yet as doubt.

I think OCD exaggerates our fears and anxieties. Someone who checks a thousand times to see if their hand is clean does that because they're afraid of germs. If we tackle the fear, it gets better. (i.e. fear= obsession) Normally, my compulsion is to rationally tackle and question the thought. So that's what I do.
I've had doubts because I plan to be with my boyfriend all my life. I found that though it may seem extreme for a couple of teens only 16, our wishes are true, and we know it takes so much more than a wish upon a star. I have had doubts such as, "what if in the future, I don't like how he is at home? what if he's really lazy? what if I can't put up with it and we argue a lot and we divorce and all is hell?" It seems pretty silly now that I think about it...sure, the POSSIBILITY is there. Be sure of that. Admit it's a possibility but that it won't stop you. Tackle and attack your doubts. Don't let them linger. I promise they calm down if you confront them. After I had admitted it, I had still been scared, but had known deep down that I know what I want and I try my hardest to get it. Nothing can stop me, and certainly not negative thoughts. I do it for me; I do it for him, and I'd do it all over again if I had to.

Last edited by GenGen*; 07-16-2010 at 02:22 PM.