View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
(female)

reinatj HB User
Smile Re: 41 year old with diverticulitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbek View Post
In january , developed acute sigmoid diverticulitis. I was treated with Cipro and flaggyll. Symptoms improved. Colonoscopy showed moderate sigmoid divericulosis. Developed allergy to cIPRO. Approx 4 weeks later,developed cdiff from Cipro. It took a round of flagyll and then a round of Vanco to heal it. I feel better but still have lower abdominal pain. My question is, if I get another attack, does anybody know what antibiotic they could use to treat me since now I'm at a higher risk for cdiff. I losta totoal of thirty8 pounds andstill don't feel myself. I was also told that if I got another attack, I would be a candidate for surgery. Thiswhole thing has beena nightmare. Between the cdiff and diverticulitis, I was hospitalised 2x. It's 6 monthslaterand I'm just getting my strength back. Has anybody been through both divertic andcdiff after? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to go through this cycle again. Oral Vanco was what killed the cdiff. Is thatone of the antibiotics they can use for diverticulitis ifI getit again? Thanks for any info.
Hi, I also have diverticulitis. My first infection was 11/08. I was also put on Cipro & flagel. I could not finish taking the flage due to it making me so sick to my stomach. so i just stayed with the Cipro. Since then i have had 6 infection, with the last one just a couple of weeks age. I was on cprio . But the other times i was given leviquin and it worked. I have been very lucky that i have not gotten any yeast infections from all the antiboticis. I don't know what the cdiff is that you mentioned. I am seeing a suregon on 7/22. I am sure he is going to say I have to have a bowel resection. There have been 2 many infection in less then 2 years. I have not had to go to the hospital either. So no tears or leakage. I know the surgery is going to be tough, but I had no problems for my hysterectomy or my gull bladder surgeries. I breezed through them both. Hope this helped you. Feel free to contact me. Terry