View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
(male)

Ropes End HB UserRopes End HB User
Need Advice and Reassurance (Prostatitis?)

Someone, please help me.

I'm 28 years-old. I've suffered from UTI's on occasion for the past ten years or so; say maybe 2 a year max, although I've not had one for 2 years until this latest one. Now, I'm going to tell my story in excruciating detail, but if you don't want to read it all, please just skip down to the end and give me some advice; any you might have, no matter how insignificant you may think it is. Thank you.

About six weeks ago, at the end of July, I felt a UTI coming on. I went to my GP and he gave me Bactrum. Traditionally, he had always given me Cipro, but I really didn't care. Two days later, I didn't feel that it was working and asked him for something stronger, at which point he called in some Cipro: 250mg, two times a day. As usual, it knocked the bugs right out.

So I took the full two-week course, went back to my GP, and he gave me a clean bill of health; nothing in my urine. I went home, feeling fine. About five days later, however, I felt the infection coming back again. I went to my GP once more, and he again prescribed me Cipro. Two days later, I started feeling worse. That Friday night, I was in the emergency room with the typical UTI symptoms I'm used to (urgency and burning), plus back pains. The doctor there did some blood work and a urine test. The latter came back clean, much to my surprise. Never heard anything about the blood test, so I assume it was clean, too. The IV I got had Cephalexin (3rd gen, I think the doctor said) and some sort of pain killer in it. I went home that night feeling practically normal with a prescription of Cephalexin (1st generation, I guess) and optimism on my side.

By Sunday, I was miserable again. Monday, I got an appointment with a urologist thanks to a referral from the hospital. Couldn't get in until Wednesday, however, so I went to my GP right away, hoping there was something he could do. Urine was clear again, though. He told me to take the Cipro, that it wouldn't interfere with the Cephalexin and that he felt it was a stronger drug anyway. I did, and felt mildly better, but still not normal.

Tuesday, more misery, went back to my GP, praying he'd have an answer this time. I told him to do whatever he wanted: tell me to eat bread and water and never have sex again; I didn't care, just to help me. He did a prostate exam and said it felt a little boggy. He then told me it could be prostatitis, a word I'm now all too familiar with.

Wednesday, I finally got to my urologist, although at this point I really didn't feel that bad; almost normal, even, as I recall. Anyway, get there hoping to speak with a doctor but instead got a PA. She did a prostate exam, said more or less the same thing as my GP, but upped my Cipro to 500mg twice a day and told me to take Motrin.

Friday night, I was in agony again. I called the urologist, telling them it was getting harder and harder for me to tell when I even had to legitimately urinate; that I was more or less going on time than urge. The nurse I spoke with told me to soak in a hot tub, and if that didn't help to come down right away, because I might need to be catheterized. I soaked in the tub for about 45-minutes, but didn't feel it really helped, so I sped off to the urologist.

They did what I had feared they would: a cystoscopy. The DOCTOR (thank God!) who did it said everything looked pretty good, but that my prostate looked slightly inflamed and maybe a bit enlarged. He told me to stay on the Cipro, but also prescribed Flomax (and wow is it expensive) and told me to try and masturbate more often (I hadn't at all since I first got over the initial UTI). I went home, still in discomfort, but at least felt a bit more optimistic now; as if the problem had finally been thoroughly checked out and I would soon be on the road to recovery.

I believe it was a week later that I was calling in desperation, asking for another appointment, because I not only felt no improvement, but actually worse. This time, upon the advice of a friend of my mother's who is a former nurse, I asked for a specific urologist at the same medical group, and he was nice enough to get me in right away.

Very empathetic, this doctor said he sees this problem all the time and that he's going to fix me. I broke down because I was so happy that I thought someone was finally going to make me feel normal again. He took me off the Flomax and instead prescribed Vesicare. He went on to say, however, that he wanted to do another cystoscopy, just so he could see for himself, but that this time I would be under anesthesia so he could really look around in there. He also wanted to inflate my bladder and get a cat-scan.

I had the cat-scan two days before the procedure, and both went off without a hitch. Afterwords, while I was still under, the doctor told my parents (who have just been fantastic in helping me deal with all of this, both monetarily and emotionally) that everything looked great and that I'd be fine soon. He gave me a prescription of Celebrex to supposedly help with the inflammation (since the Motrin didn't seem to be doing anything), scheduled me for a follow-up in two weeks, and told me to take it easy in the meantime.

Getting through those two weeks was like torture. I still wasn't getting any better, and for the first three days, due to the procedure, I not only had to deal with the constant urge to urinate, but now it hurt when I finally did urinate. An Oxycodone prescription helped a bit with that, but as soon as the pain went away I stopped it because of how strong the stuff is. Not like I'm in pain now anyway; just misery.

So the two weeks finally passed, and I have to admit, the night before my follow-up appointment I was extremely depressed. I just knew from experience at this point that he was going to tell me to just deal with it, come back in a few weeks, and I'd be better. Sure enough, my worst fear came true. He didn't even do an physical examination or a DPE. Just to come back in a month if I didn't feel any improvement. Oh, and he also told me to see a psychiatrist and gave me a prescription for some anti-depression meds that seem to only make me tired.

And that's where I'm at now.

Guys, I've cried more in the last month than the rest of my 28-years on this Earth prior combined. I can't focus on anything anymore. I've actually had a lot of good things happen for me in the past two weeks, but I can't get excited or enthused about any of them because I just don't feel normal anymore. I'm an avid exerciser, and I've lost 12 pounds of muscle in the last month because of this thing. Please help.

I'm going to go into a bit more detail about my symptoms now, as well as some of the ways outside of the meds I'm trying to treat them.

My Symptoms:
Biggest thing is the urge to urinate. Occasionally, I'll also have a burning sensation, but not when I'm urinating. My stream seems strong enough, but I never really paid much attention to it before this, to be honest, so I don't really have much to compare it to. Also, after urination, I'll usually feel a stronger urge to go than before I went, as well as a sensation that there are still a few drops left in the tip of my penis. Feels like I may dribble a bit every now and then in my pants after voiding, but I've never felt down there to be sure. The strong urge usually subsides a bit after 30-minutes to an hour, but it's always there.

Lately, I've also been getting a dull ache in my pubic area, typically when I really, really have to go. I also noticed a red ring encompassing and expanding out from the tip of my penis, around the urethra, the other night, but again, I never paid much attention to down there before. It's very well possible it's always looked like that, but since my urologist didn't even bother to look this past week, who knows if it's normal?

All of my symptoms seem to escalate as the day goes on, and by 10PM or so I'm usually so drained that I just break down and sob for an hour. I try not to; I try to relax and remain calm, but by the end of the day I just can't keep up the facade any longer.

On a side note, I've masturbated twice since being diagnosed. It didn't hurt during the action or upon ejaculation, nor did it seem to make my ongoing symptoms better or worse. However, I did notice some yellow streaks in my semen upon close examination the second time. I told my urologist, but he said some discoloration is normal for everyone, especially for me considering the trauma my system has been through lately (mainly the cystoscopy).

Current Treatment:
500mg of Cipro, 2X a day.
10mg of Vesicare, 1X a day
250mg of Celebrax, 1X a day (for inflammation)
Anti-depressant, which I can't remember offhand and don't have it on me. Atryptacyclene, or something like that, I believe.

As well as:

Prosta-Q - An herbal supplement my mother's friend (the nurse) recommended I try. 2X a day. Contains Saw Palmetto, Zinc (5mg), Quercetin, Cranberry, Bromelain, and Papain.

Prostatrol Forte - Another herbal supplement that my GP recommended (he's big on the holistic stuff). 1X a day. Contains Zinc (8mg), Selenium (50mcg), Copper (500mg), Saw Palmetto (300mg), Nettles Root Extract (120mg), and Pygeum Bark Extract (50mg).

St. Johns Wart - 400mg, 1X a day.

Vitamin C - 500mg 1X a day.

The multivitamin I've always taken, 1X a day.

I'm also taking probiotics twice a day now, for a couple of reasons I'll get into later, but largely because I've always hated taking antibiotics, and taking everything I am right now is just killing me.

I also take a very, very hot bath in the evening, and sometimes in the afternoon if I have the time. 20-30 minutes a soak. Honestly, I don't really know if they do anything, but couldn't hurt, right?

My GP gave me an anal heater, which I haven't gotten up the nerve to try yet. I'm in such agony, though, today might be the day. He also said he'd give me vitamin C intravenously and that might help. I'm not really sure about that, though. I've also looked into electric prostate massagers, but my urologist said there's little difference between that and masturbation. Opinions?

I have a book, "A Headache in the Pelvis" on order, which I've read mixed things about, but anything's worth a shot at this point. Might look into a physical therapist, acupuncturist, or take a trip to my chiropractor if the info in the book sounds promising and encourages that sort of thing.

Potential Causes/Diagnosis:
Obviously the prostatitis seems to be the most popular choice among my physicians, despite the fact nothing has worked for me thus far and no bacteria has ever been found in me since being diagnosed.

With that said, I don't want to rule anything else out, and it seems like all the doctors I've seen just have tunnel vision at this point.

Has anyone here ever heard of Candidiasis? I first learned of this a couple of nights ago after noticing the redness on my penis. The reason I'm thinking this might be a culprit is I haven't done anything that many prostatitis sufferers seem to do and later stop doing to help calm their symptoms. What I'm trying to say is, I don't drink alcohol (never have), caffeine (not for at least ten years), or smoke (never have), so it's not like I can cut any of these things out to help me; I never did any of them to begin with! In fact, all I drink is water, and that's been true for the last decade or so.

However, my one vice is cereal. I have a huge bowl every morning. Nothing too sugary (Cheerios, Fiber One, Kix, Special K, and Honey Bunches of Oats are my favorites). I also follow this up with vanilla yogurt (and yes, I've made sure to take the Cipro several hours in advance), a plain, dry bagel, and a banana. This is nearly every morning of the year, I eat this. And perhaps worth noting, after I got the initial UTI, I hurt my knee, and became unable to walk or run, both of which I did on a daily basis before the injury. So I'm just theorizing here that all that processed sugar and such may have accumulated in my system, and caused Candidiasis, which I've read on a couple of (suspect) websites is often misdiagnosed as prostatitis. Possible? I started taking probiotics yesterday and cut out the carbs starting today. I'm praying to God it works.

My other theory--and one I'm not really fond of, but what can I do?--is that this is all mental. In all honesty, every time I get a UTI I'm terrified the meds won't work this time. It's, in my opinion, one of the most horrible feelings in the world, and now I'm living with it 24/7. It's like my worst nightmare come true. That's why I've ordered the "Headache in the Pelvis" book. I've tried to stay calm through all of this, and maintain a positive attitude; that I will get better. But after a couple of days, I just can't focus anymore, and I always end up breaking down and weeping uncontrollably. I feel like my life is over, and I never even really lived. So it's hard to break this cycle. If it is all mental, it's hard to tell myself I'll get better when I've been miserable for so long.

Anyone have any opinions on this, or know if positive thinking has ever cured anyone of prostatitis? If so, that may just give me some hope, if even only a little bit.

Summary:
I'm a 28 year-old male with a history of UTIs suffering from what's been diagnosed three times over now as prostatitis for the past five weeks or so. My symptoms are frequent urge to urinate, an occasional mild burning sensation (but not during urination) in my penis, and a feeling as if I have urine in my penis accompanied by an increased urge to urinate after voiding.

I'm currently taking Ciprofloxacin and a number of other drugs and supplements to treat the problem, thus far with no signs of success. Doxycyclene is the next course of treatment I've been recommend by my urologist, but not until after another month of the Cipro (it's already been four weeks, plus two weeks of 250mg).

I'm extremely depressed and worry I could have been either misdiagnosed (Candidiasis) or am causing the problem myself inadvertently due to my mental state.

Any help anyone here can offer me is greatly appreciated. Recommended treatments, diet, or doctors, whatever you have to offer I'll accept. Honestly, I'm terrified to change urologists now because I don't want to have to undergo the same battery of tests all over again, but if you guys think I should, I definitely will.

I just want my life back. I pray every night that if I get my life back I'll do so much more with it than I did before I fell ill, but I'm very, very quickly running out of faith that I'll ever get the chance to do that.

Thank you all very much for enduring this long-winded post, and again, I appreciate any advice or words of encouragement you can offer me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ropes End For This Useful Post:
benny151 (11-17-2012)