View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
(male)

GUAMJOHN HB UserGUAMJOHN HB User
Re: PSA Relapse Following Salvage Radiotherapy, can you help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptista View Post
Jim,
GuamJohn,
JohnT

Thank you for the comments on my post. I am relying very much on your insights and material from the net. Amazon.uk has not sent me yet a copy of Myers’ BIBLE so I have many question marks to clarify. Could you please give me an insight on the following, if possible?

Am I wrong in thinking that practitioners of HT follow protocols, and that such is set at the beginning of the treatment? Or is HT fixed on the basis of “trial & error” along the period of treatment?

My Oncologist is DR Myers. I believe he starts with a protocol based on his understanding of the current situation however he will adjust based on results

What kind of Monitoring is used by practitioners to certify If a cancer (biology) is responding to “protocol A”? And how long does it take to change protocols (A to B)?

I would think it would be case dependent as to changes. I started triple blockade with Dr Myers and he asked for monthly PSA for 6 mos the as my PSA was decreasing to every 3 mos. When I started my Lupron, Casodex holiday two mos ago I was put back on monthly PSA tests.

I understand that HT is applied on a Single, Dual and Triple drugs each directed to different purposes. The classical ADT3 seems to be a combination of an Anti-androgen + a LHRH agonist + a 5α blocker. Why is a LHRH agonist used on single protocols if it is known that it causes “flare”?
Being from the same group, is there a drug that can be considered better than the other?

In my case I was given Casodex before Lupron I think for 30 days to reduce flair. I believe this is common. It is my understanding that Lupron and Zolodex are equally effective not sure about others

Very little is written about cases using estrogens (DES) and orchiectomy surgery. It may be because most materials on the net are posted in the United States where those treatments are less common. Do you know of protocols incorporating these kinds of treatments? Are they included in the same scenario as on a Single, Dual and Triple Blockage?

No Comment

I believe that the behavior of cancer cells is influenced on the principle of adaptation to newer situations. They have the power of changing their way on how to survive, once supplies of testosterone are cutoff. Albeit the release from the side effects, to trick the cells into believing that “testosterone is going to be there always” may be the positive approach of the intermittent application (now you have it, now you don’t). Have you came a cross of any report on this basis? If such, orchiectomy should not qualify for an intermittent methodology? What about estrogens, are they proper for an intermittent approach?

No Comment

Androgen deprivation by surgery or medication gives differ results in terms of Erection Dysfunction. In surgery ED is permanent. Is there any other aspect or side effect one should consider as important when deciding between both treatments?

Jim has some previous posts on side effects and counter measure and may comment here. In my case ED was an issue after RP and Radiation as I was Hormone therapy after RP for a year and one half or two ( don’t have my records with me) after during with I also had radiation. During my first holiday function returned. Again after staring second hormone rounds the problem returned, but after about 60 days into second holiday function has again returned. I would caution that this seems not to be the norm from some things I’ve read.

My doctor is a urologist and belongs to a team of surgical oncologists experienced in the diagnose, and treatment of cancer. They practice in Lisbon biggest hospital. I think that I am in good hands. However, if unsatisfied I would not mind in changing “clubs”. Do you think that it would be possible to have a treatment applied on the “other side of the globe” far from where you live? And could the monitoring job be done by a third party?

Again in my case I consult with Dr Myers mostly by phone and email. All my blood tests, bone scans etc I send to him via internet. Once a year I trek to the east coast from Guam in the west Pacific and visit with him. Takes usually about 26 hrs door to door but I would be travelling to New York anyway to hub to where my kids are in Canada so the side trip isn’t actually very much

I read that HT drugs ‘side effects are nasty. Most of them require medication to counter the symptoms and many of the drugs require previous health fitness, as a condition for its application. In this regard, what kind of questionnaire was given to you at the beginning of your treatment? And in your experience what could you suggest to patients on HT, apart from what it is written on the BIBLES (Myers and Scholz)?

Again I think Jim has posts on the side effects and counter measures so I will defer to him

Dr Myers questions can be accessed via the Internet however I don’t think I can give out his office web site on the forum. There are also video blogs with his answers to questions available via internet which you can find. I believe sone things he used to recommeng like vitamin E and selenium he no longer recommends. He also has added things like Full Spectrum Pomegranate capsules, Super Bio Curcumin and nitro 250 micronized resveratrol

Thank you in advance for the help and interest in my case.

Best Regards,
Baptista
Hope some of this helps.
John