View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

lyndseylou80 HB User
Nissen Fundoplication

I wanted to post something positive about the nissen. I had it done a month ago. It is obviously painful when you are first recovering since there are 5 small incisions but after that each day gets better and better.

I can eat pretty much anything and sometimes things get a little stuck but water washes it down. It isn't any different from when my esophagus was swollen from the acid and things got stuck.

As far as the reflux, I haven't had any. My concern was acid was coming all the way up and out my nose at night which would cause me to breath some in. I can tell if I eat something high acidic and spicy that I have very faint symptoms of 'heartburn' but I really could care less about that. As long as that acid stays down and I'm not breathing it in and working towards cancer, a tiny bit of discomfort when I eat foods that are just bothersome is welcomed. A doctor can't make your stomach like a childs where you can eat fried twinkies with no issues. It just doesn't work that way.

I think this can be a successful procedure if people are willing to accept responsibility for their own lifestyles and diet. I'm not overweight (5'1 106 lbs.) and I eat small meals, and fairly healthy (I do have a sweet tooth). I drink alcohol but I do not smoke. You don't have to be 'perfect' but don't expect to scarf down a bucket of fried chicken and have no issues.

I'm glad I did it. I'm not afraid to go to bed anymore. I couldn't ask for anything else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lyndseylou80 For This Useful Post:
sara313 (06-19-2012), simplesoul (03-31-2012)