View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: radioactive iodine details? risks?

Actually, this is not a CT or like a CT, it's actually an old fashioned "whole body scan" where they give you radioactive Iodine (usually a pill) and trace it based upon measurement of "uptake" of thyroid tissue that remains in your body after the surgery. Wherever there is thyroid tissue, it will be destroyed, and they will check it with the scan. I had a one year follow up scan, every facility is different. Some places do a pre-scan, others do a pre and post scan before and after they give you the ablation pill.

In the hospital I had it done, I felt like I went back to the 1950's or something, and they never updated the old clunky equipment. I was sent home, so I stayed with my parents so I wouldn't be with my children at the time. I had pre-and post scan, so I was running back and forth to the hospital for a week to get it done.

Make sure to ask for "thyrogen" so you don't have to go without thyroid meds to prep---they do it all over the world, but the US docs are really hesitant about it for no real scientific reason.