View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #11
(male)

GUAMJOHN HB UserGUAMJOHN HB UserGUAMJOHN HB User
Re: PSA Relapse Following Salvage Radiotherapy, can you help?

Sorry I took so long I was travelling I will reply below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptista View Post
Hi John (guam)

I appreciate your detailed post to my questions. It is interesting to know that you are in Guam. I have visited your island several times in the past, in one occasion I stayed 6 months for a marine project at Tamuning bay. Which part of the island are you living?

I lived in Yona for 8 years then moved to upper Tumon 2 years ago.

In regards to your answers could you please clarify the following:
“I would think it would be case dependent as to changes. I started triple blockade with Dr Myers and he asked for monthly PSA for 6 mos the as my PSA was decreasing to every 3 mos. When I started my Lupron, Casodex holiday two mos ago I was put back on monthly PSA tests.”

1) How many months were you on ADT3 and where did you get your shots, in Guam?

After being off all blockade I started again in May 2007 and my PSA was 1.2, I was unable to get below .8 PSA on Lupron and Casodex then I made my first visit to Myers in June 2009. He put me on triple blockade, I dropped to <.01 in about 5 mos . I had last 3 mos Lupron shot in Feb 10 then dropped casodex in June. I am still at <.01 but expect tor start rising again My local Physician was happy to give me the shots but my wife was qualified to give them so I had her do it unless she was off Island.

2) Did you take the three drugs every day (shots were for how many months)?
Casodex and adavart Daily (pills) and lupron shot every 3 mos

3) What was your PSA before starting ADT and how long did it take to get to 0.01?
Above

“Again in my case I consult with Dr Myers mostly by phone and email. All my blood tests, bone scans etc I send to him via internet. Once a year I trek to the east coast from Guam in the west Pacific and visit with him. Takes usually about 26 hrs door to door but I would be travelling to New York anyway to hub to where my kids are in Canada so the side trip isn’t actually very much”

4) How did you manage this type of consultation, How did you firstly contacted Dr. Myers?

I contacted their office by email. I filled out a long questionaire they sent me then went to visit him on a trip to US. He agreed to treat me in conjuction with a local physician, I consult directly with him using email, (and phone if I wish) I send him copies of all tests from here or Philipines if I get them there. I go stateside once a year in June so I intend to drop by his office when I am there

5) Do you think that I could get the same style of consultations as yours, from my country?

He consults with patients in Australia (for sure) and Europe (I believe) in the same way.

6) How much did it cost your treatment?
The largest part of the cost was the drugs of course, The cost of the drugs here is I believe about the same cost as mainland US and way more expensive than canada and Australia. I am not sure what cost would be where you are. if you have a drug plan then the cost might not be that much.

7) Do you pay only each time you visit him?
Yes but if you need long consults by email or ohone you will be charged. i have never required this. They will give you a price schedule if you contact them.

“Dr Myers questions can be accessed via the Internet however I don’t think I can give out his office web site on the forum. There are also video blogs with his answers to questions available via internet which you can find. I believe sone things he used to recommeng like vitamin E and selenium he no longer recommends. He also has added things like Full Spectrum Pomegranate capsules, Super Bio Curcumin and nitro 250 micronized resveratrol”

8) What kind of extra drugs did you take for the side effects?
The only side effect drug I took was estrogen patches to reduce risk of bone thinning and had the added benifit of reducing hot flashes,

9) What supplements did Dr. Myers recommend you to take?
< edited >

Many thanks for the information.
Regards,
Baptista
All the best