View Single Post
Old 12-02-2001, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Diastolic rising to above 110

Dear Stocklord,
Although it's not uncommon for BP to rise as you get older, especially if you have a family history of high BP, you're right that it's usually the systolic that goes up, while the diastolic doesn't rise that much.

One of the things that can affect blood pressure is a kidney problem...it's the kidneys that are largely responsible for regulating blood pressure. Please don't let this scare you, because some kidney problems are, well...not minor, but not that scary. I have a condition called renal stenosis which causes my blood pressure to be high without medications (and it especially caused the diastolic to go up to 110 at rest!). You may want to have your doctor refer you to a nephrologist to be checked out. Also, if doctor recommends an IVP (x-ray of kidneys) it's a good idea, but an IVP won't show renal stenosis. It's usually discovered by a trained nephrologist listening to the arteries near your kidneys (right over the front of your hips) and detecting an anomolay in the sound of the blood going through these arteries.

Of course, just because you have high BP doesn't mean you have renal stenosis or kidney problems, but it should be checked out.

Also, you didn't mention if your BP has been going up gradually over the past few years, or is suddenly elevated. I'd be more suspicious of a kidney link if your BP (especially diastolic) is suddenly elevated, as opposed to gradually going up.

Good luck!