Thread: Hypochondria
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2001, 07:19 AM   #1

JasonMerrill HB User
Hypochondria

Is fear of having an undiagnosed but serious illness a thing in most of your lives? I Know it sure is in mine. I had a serious episode - it was a hot day, i was in the passenger seat of a car that had no AC, and i drank A LOT of alcohol the night before. my fingers started to tingle and i thought it was a little strange but didn't think too much about it. then my arms feet and legs began to tingle. soon after my whole body was tingling, and i felt as if my bones were trying to escape my skin. my speech slurred and i had the urge to drink something cold and to cool down. my body reverted to the fetal position and my hands to fists. it took all the energy i had in my body to open my fists (i almost passed out it took so much strength) i could not move so i said (as well as i could, i was barely intelligible at this point) to take off my clothes for me. he pulled into a burger king drive thru and got me a large ice water. i poured half of it over my head (it was instinct, not a concious decision) and drank the other half in 1 or 2 gulps. in a few minutes i felt completely better except for some numbness in a few fingers. up to this point, the first tingle to feeling mostly better was the span of about 10 minutes. the last lingering numbness cleared up after an hour, and i just didn't think about it again for a long time. I never asked a doctor what happened, what was wrong, and would it happen again. I just forgot about it. i used psychedelic drugs about twice a year, and 2 years later i had a bad experience using lsd and stopped doing drugs. the bad experience seemed to trigger panic attacks and anxiety, however one of the symptoms of anxiety and panic disorders is random meaningless tingling in various parts of the body. now whenever i feel the slightest tingle, my imagination goes into overdrive (oh my god it's happening again!!! oh my god i'm gonna die!!!). it happens a couple times a day, and has been going on for the past 2.5 years. i recognize that i need to work on it and i may need therapy, but I live in Sweden (i'm american but married a swedish girl) and I don't speak swedish good enough yet to talk to a doctor. I was wondering two things. for one, does anyone know what may have happened to me in the car that day? and for two, does anyone know of any place i can turn to for help here in sweden? I'm tired of being scared all the time.

[edit]let me clarify, that the episode in the car, or anything close has never happened again, only the panic attacks happen a couple times a day, and the fear that this episode will repeat itself comes a couple times a day, not repeat episodes themselves[/edit]<p>[This message has been edited by JasonMerrill (edited 09-26-2001).]