View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Really need answers- anyone else taking antidepressants????

I hope I can ease your mind about some of the facts and myths about anti-depression medications.

Fact...Rather than "mask" anything, antidepressants operate by making a tiny elevation of a certain chemical our brain needs to operate in the healthiest and most balanced way... There are many reasons our brains may be a little short of the needed chemical, many of which are short termed and easy to overcome. The antidepressant simply gives you a tiny boost of the important chemical you need.

That leads to fact 2...The best way for medications to work is to be evenly spaced out tiny dosages, keeping your level of medication most even, day and night. Skipping a dose of being off for a few hours is not the ideal way to take the medication...it is still better than keeping yourself from the benefits of the medication.

Myth...You do not get addicted to this kind of medication. You simply need to slowly start it, and slowly stop taking it, thats all. Like we said before, each dose is just a tiny bit of chemical, and you do not want to force your brain to adjust to a sudden lack of the chemical.

Life these days are filled with many stressful and challenging events, and there are times when all of us need a little help to get through.There are so many people (including myself) who am thankful to have a tiny pill to take to make my life more enjoyable.

There is no shame in always accessing our lives, and making adjustments along the way. If you think these medications could be helpful to you, by all means take them with a positive attitude, and expect the best!