View Single Post
Old 03-30-2002, 10:51 PM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Thyroid nodule & gray mass

Hi lynnmarie. Did your pre-op blood tests indicate any abnormalities (particularly a high white blood cell count that might indicate an infection)? I'm not sure why they weren't more specific interpreting the ultrasound -- "gray mass" in your nodule should have been described in terms of the echoes it gave during the scan. I'm also quite surprised that the ultrasound technician gave his/her opinion. I believe the law requires only doctors to interpret scans to the patients, and techs are usually reluctant to say anything except explain the body parts you're seeing on-screen.

It sounds like you need to see an Endocrinologist to have a true thyroid workup. It is not appropriate for a nurse to be palpating your lymph nodes without a doctor's opinion. And, given your history of post-partum thyroiditis, I think it would be a good idea to request thyroid antibody blood tests along with Free T3 and Free T4 to get a better idea of what's going on. If the doctor you spoke about is already an Endo and is "too busy" to be listening to your symptoms himself, it sounds like time for a change. Our Information Archive thread includes a list of useful questions/answers for interviewing a new doc.

You need your energy for your surgery next week. If you have any doubts about your health or are worried about other infection, PLEASE discuss it with your surgeon and, perhaps, postpone your surgery until you are mentally ready to focus on a smooth surgery and healing yourself.

Let us know what happens.