View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
(female)

laughitoff HB User
Re: sudden, sharp chest pains on left side

One other thing I should mention. I was diagnosed with anorexia and bulimia when I was 12. Since then, I have struggled with varying degrees of relapse, and have also had long periods of recovery. I am now 22. I first noticed these chest pains until around the time I was diagnosed. Within the past 10 years, I've noticed that they do happen more frequently during periods of prolonged caloric restriction (whether that is a full blown relapse, or just a few weeks of normal dieting). However, they also happen when I've been eating normally for months, or even years. For example, I've maintained the same weight of about 145 lbs. for at least 4 years (I'm 5'6"). Even when I've restricted within these past 4 years, I haven't dipped below 138. And within the past 4 months or so, I've actually hovered a little closer to 150 (and haven't restricted/purged/overexercised at all). **And I'm still having these pains occasionally.**
One of the EKGs I had done just so happened to be during a period of restriction (maybe about 2 years ago?). My doctor suggested that maybe it had something to do with an electrolyte imbalance/deficiency, and did blood work. Even though I was restricting at the time, my levels came back normal, as did the EKG.