Thread: cutting
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User
Re: cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyluke View Post
Several years ago, my daughter was filled with anger and was cutting. It got so bad we had to send her away to a boarding school with psych. help. She has been home for 1 1/2 years, and this weekend she began cutting again. Unfortunately or fortunately, the cut was so deep she required stitches and received a hospital stay in the psch. ward. She is 17 years old. Apparently, several weeks before she had suicide thoughts and actually crushed percocets and snorted them. There were no warning signs to any of this. She will be attending a group session today and we have our first pscyh. appt for Monday. What can I do to help her through this?

First of all, I have great respect for you for trying to help and understand your daughter. I used to self-injure, specifically cut, and I never would have gotten through it without my mother's help.

Cutting is something that a person never really forgets about. You pick up a knife to chop onions, and there it is, a knife in your hand. I am glad to see that the boarding school helped for so long, but almost every self-injurer WILL have relapses. A relapse doesn't necessarily mean things are going to get awful again, but it's an indicator that they could, so going to therapy is a wonderful plan.

Drug use is often associated with other self-injurious behaviors - I have always been a poly-drug abuser. Fortunately snorting a few percocets isn't likely to kill a healthy teen, so we can all be thankful for that.

Back to your question, all you can really do is try to understand. Don't be judgmental (which it doesn't sound like you are), and show her compassion. Another thing is to make sure that all sharp objects are out of her room. I got mad at my mom a lot for going through my stuff, but at least at that point I didn't have anything sharp in my possession.

Another thing is that cutting is not always (or even usually) a precursor to suicide - it is a cry for help or a way to relieve stress; to make life better - not end life.

I hope my post helped in some way.

I really do wish you the best of luck. Let us know how therapy goes if you wish.