View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
(female)

BrandedPrincess HB User
Opinions about My dentist appointment (gum recession)

So, I had a dentist appointment because I thought I had gum recession on one tooth) I did the whole cleaning/xrays..ect. He told me that everything was fine, my bones are fine and I need to keep an eye on a few back teeth that had fillings in it (I had it done in grade school and I am now in my 30's) because I could be possibly in the begining stages of getting cavities there. I am not concerned about those teeth at this time but I am concerned more for the one tooth with gum recession.

He told me that it could be due to age, or that I brush too hard. (which could be true because I use a medium tooth brush and now switched to soft.) He said there is nothing that can be done for it. Is this true? I read otherwise when I first did research about gum recession. Im okay if nothing can or should be done but I don't want it to progress as I age. He said I didn't have gum disease and I didn't even have signs of gingivitis, which I believe because I don't even bleed when I brush, plus, my gums are pink.

Well, my concerns are: He didn't measure pockets of my gums. Why? Is it because I didn't have any signs of gingivitis or gum disease? Or should he have checked pockets?

Shouldn't he have known for sure if I had any cavities that might be starting to form?

Should I go for another 2nd opinion because I am concerned about that one tooth?

He didn't even mention anything about flossing.

I am suppose to go back in 6 months. I am not sure if I should go back to him or not. I know good oral care helps prevent further gum recession (providing there is no disease or treatment needed so I am not too worried about waiting 6 months for another appointment if I do go to someone else or back to him.)

I don't know, I don't think it was that great of an appointment but I haven't been to the dentist since the begining of 06' so I can't really compare. He took tons of xrays though.

I am just hoping to get some opinions about my appointment. I think he should have known for sure if I was in the begining stages of forming cavities.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BrandedPrincess; 11-22-2010 at 03:14 PM.