View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #22
(male)

Ropes End HB UserRopes End HB User
Re: Need Advice and Reassurance (Prostatitis?)

Thanks, Shaun. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, and I sincerely hope your symptoms continue to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted011 View Post
There is hope through, I am very determined to completely curemyself (I would say I'm about 50% there). I DO NOT beleive doctors when they tell me that it is incurable (this "condition" I beleive is at least 50% mental).
I really do agree with you here, particularly about the mental thing. More and more, I'm starting to believe this is indeed an anxiety disorder of some sort, or perhaps even an obsessive compulsive thing, at least in my case, anyway. From the research I've done online over the past five months, it seems as if there's always some sort of legitimate ailment or possibility of one that brings on "prostatitis," or "CPPS," or whatever other name one wants to call it. I've seen many people with this condition who first developed it after a dicey sexual encounter, some folks who had an actual urological infection of some sort, and even a few sufferers who experienced a physical trauma of some sort to the area (an accident, late-life circumcision, etc.). So from my reading it seems as if a wide array of things can act as the catalyst for CPPS, and that to me says an almost unconscious obsession with the area is the root of a lot of our problems.

That's not to say the pain isn't real, though, because it absolutely is. But somehow I think that obsession causes the pain, or discomfort, or the constant urge to go, and those symptoms bring about more anxiety about our condition, which in effect only worsens those same symptoms.

The last bit of evidence I have is that I had knee surgery on Monday, and while my urological symptoms were initially worse after returning home from the hospital, they gradually subsided, and are actually quite manageable as I sit here this very minute (knock on wood). In fact, I'd say I feel better now than I have in quite some time, and I'm not taking any sort of pain medication for the knee right now, so I'm fairly confident it's nothing in the form of drugs that's helping me. Rather, I think I'm just more concerned with my knee right now, and as such, the lack of worry about my CPPS has caused the symptoms related to that problem to dwindle.

I'm really hopeful that once my knee is completely healed, and I can get back to exercising and walking as I did before I hurt it (incidentally, around the exact same time I first began experience my urological symptoms), my CPPS symptoms will dramatically improve soon thereafter, and I can finally put this whole horrible time in my life behind me once and for all. That's what I'm praying for, anyway.

In the meantime, though, if anyone has any other theories or tips to share, I, and I'm sure anyone else visiting this board as well, would love to hear them. Thanks again to everyone who's chimed in, and good luck to all of us.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ropes End For This Useful Post:
canadian13 (03-24-2011)