View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Great ROM but still in pain

I had decompression surgery on my right shoulder in 2008. It wasn't as severe as a repair, but I was in a lot of pain and had lost a significant amount of ROM.

While I felt much better soon after surgery, it took about 3 months for my pain to really go away. I still have occasional twinges when I do something wrong or overdo.

When I started PT, I told my PT that one of my goals was to be able to fasten my bra in back. I'm not sure males really understand the significance to me in this, but he didn't laugh. Even bringing my ROM to the point I could wash, wipe and tuck anywhere behind me was a great achievement worth celebration. It was about 3 months before I could do this easily and without pain despite fairly rapid gains in ROM. I kind of like a good front-hook though. Found that out during this process as well.

I found that because I was using my shoulder muscles differently when my rotator cuff was out of whack, I ended up with bicep tendonitis as well. As I healed, that got better as well.

I agree with jenny on the neck thing. I've had a tight neck, shoulder and back for so long that it was "normal" for me. I blamed my shoulder all along and it wasn't until my shoulder healed that I found out I had other issues as well. I found a great Manual Orthopedic PT who has been working on my neck muscles and alignment and it really makes a difference. I just wish I could afford to see her more often.