View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
(female)

knittingirl HB User
Re: i need help, i think i'm developing an ED and i don't know what to do

Hi acs7,

Some of the things you’ve listed do sounds like warning signs for an eating disorder, but the main thing is that you’ve already recognised that and that you want to do something about it.

Correct me if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick, but it sounds like the trigger for this starting was your parents being very controlling, you feeling out of control, and then starting to develop certain habits to make you feel that you had more control over your life and your eating? The trouble with an eating disorder is that at the beginning you think that you have control but very quickly you lose control.

If you have determination then you don’t have to go down that road. Have you tried talking to your parents and explaining how them controlling your food so much makes you feel? You are 17, so pretty soon you’re going to be out on your own and have to take control of your life, and it’d be better for you if you can learn to do that whilst you have the support of your parents.

The other thing it is worth doing is focusing on the goals in your life – maybe you want to go to university? Maybe you’re in your first job or looking for your first job? Maybe you want to have a family one day? Maybe you just want to spend time going out with your friends? Any and all of these things can be jeopardised by an eating disorder.

An eating disorder is rarely about the food or body weight – that is just how it manifests itself. Think about what is the root cause of this, and then look for a way to deal with that.

Good luck,

knittingirl xxx