View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

mandolnplayr55 HB User
Re: Where to begin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Bee View Post
I may sound ignorant to all but there is a possiblity of my baby having DS. I'm not sure what it means when I'm told of "special needs" children. I know there are certain levels of DS--some kids are integrated into public school, graduate, get jobs etc...What if that's not the case? I'm sure there are special schools and day care programs for kids...and adult living arrangements? ...but this is all new to me. I don't even know where to begin and what to plan for!! Can anyone share their experience with me?
I am an adoptive mother of a DS daughter that I have had since the age of 3 months and she is now 16 yrs old. I can tell you whether your child is DS, they are one of the most loving children/adults that can teach all of us the true meaning of love, no matter the severity of their mental state. Your child will be such a blessing to you and others. My daughter has taught me so much over the past 16 yrs, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I would love to help you thru this, if you need a friend in this matter.
"God made them someone special, and they are the only one of their kind; He gave them a body and a bright healthy mind, He had a special purpose that He wanted you to find. So He made them, someone special and they are the only one of their kind!!" This is what I have sanged to my daughter from day one, and she now knows she is Someone Special! Cindy