View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: ADHD education of critical importance

Thu,

On A) The best the neuro guys can figure it is dopamine and norepinephrine do not share receptors.

On B) I'll bet you are describing the "cross talk" mechanism assuming the "theoretical" working model is true.

Another factor to consider is that we are entering an area where even top level research leaders are uncertain as to the actual mechanisms involved.

Your stuff, as always, is very helpful. Please keep it coming.

Bottom line fact: SNRI's have some positive effects that increase available synaptic dopamine.

My theory on the meds: It appears to me that the NRI, Wellbutrin, has the most impact on dopamine, Strattera seems to have the least. The SNRI's appear to have similar positive effects. None of them increase available dopamine sufficiently to be helpful controllers of ADHD symptoms in most cases. Their usefulness is mostly as stimulant adjuncts.

Bob