View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
(female)

NikkyA HB User
Re: How long to recover from a hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by giabelsi View Post
Two weeks ago I had a partial hysterectomy. It was performed abdominaly. My doctor asked me if I needed more than the prescribed 4 weeks off work. I told him no. But honestly I dont think that i will be ready for work. I am still in pain and can't really do a lot physically. I still cant sit or stand for long periods of time. Once I go back to work there is no turning back. I have to stay.
Does anyone else have experience with how long recovery takes?
Hi Giabelsi. I had also had a partial abdominal hysterectomy on 25 August 2010. I went back to work after 6 weeks with great difficulty. I am 41 years old and have no children. I also never had any operation with some kind of insicion. The hysterectomy was a huge shock for my body. It is now 4 and a half months later and I have still not recovered completely. I am still very sensitive around the wound as well as around the inside where the stitches were. I had to buy a bigger pants size as I could not and still can't bear any pressure around my abs. I also still experience swelling above and below the wound. The swelling goes down after a good nights rest and as soon as I get up and going it starts again. I also suffer from back pain as my stomach muscles are still weak and I use my back instead. Most people says the recory time is around 6 - 8 weeks, but I beg to differ. I also spoke to someone who had a hysterectomy at 7 years ago at the age of 33 after two children. She said it took her one year to fully recover and had the same symptoms as myself. It looks like everyones body has a different approach and the bottom line is that it takes time to heal. I hope you get better soon. Would like to hear how you are doing now. Good luck!