Thread: Possible MD?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
(male)

DCM1 HB User
Possible MD?

Hello

I am posting here regarding a possible MD diagnosis. I'll keep this as short as possible. Before Christmas I was diagnosed with a heart condition Dilated Cardiomyopathy at the age of 21. Having done a lot of research I found a link between dilated cardiomyopathy and Duchenne Beckers MD. Having looked at the symptoms I feel there is reason to suspect MD. I have almost every symptom.

From a very young age I always had trouble keeping up with my peers. I was always unfit and out of condition despite being in good shape. As I got older my calf muscles grew spectacularly large, many people got good laugh out of that. Also many gym sessions etc left me in excruciating pain, especially in calf and thigh muscles.
As I got older at around 18 years of age, I literally could not run (not that I could ever run that well) without falling and making a fool of myself while doing so. I felt as though my stamina and agility was diminishing, eventually I was beginning to do this more and more while walking and climbing stairs. Iím finding stairs progressively worse and a few steps without a handrail seems like torture in my head. I have also noticed lately that when I fall I am finding it more and more difficult to get up using a type of gower in doing so, where I have to climb up my legs so to speak. People are also beginning to pick up on the fact that I walking like I have a limp. I get the feeling that all these symptoms are getting progressively worse and these symptom combined with the dilated cardiomyopathy make it look like a case of muscular dystrophy. I have an appointment with a cardiologist in a weeks time again so I will probably mention it then. It will probably result in an appointment for the neurologist. If they donít I would be surprised. I think there are too many coincidences for them not to investigate.

I am posting this however to see has anyone here any experience of these problems or people who have any advice to give at all.

Thank You