Thread: Possible MD?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: Possible MD?

Hi DCM,

First of all, I am sorry this is happening to you. I have been through the exact symptoms you describe......slow and weak as a kid, then as I grew older i started having trouble climbing stairs, ladders and getting out of low chairs or up from the floor. And yes people don't understand so they laugh or stare.

My name is Mark. I am 49 years old. I have Limb-girdle Muscular Dystrophy. I have spent years collecting data on every known type of MD.

You've done your research well. Here is the data I've collected on Beckers Muscular Dystrophy:
Name: Becker Muscular Dystrophy
Also Known as: BMD
Inheritance: X-Linked (through the mother, usually undetected)
Defective Gene: Dystrophin
Chromosome Location: Xp21
Typical Age at Onset: Adolescent-Adult
Blood CK level: High
Areas Affected: Generalized
Heart Affected: Yes
Severity of disease: Medium
Other Notable symptoms: Enlarged Calves

You might have it already figured out, as did I, long before I went to see the neurologist. Feel free to ask me anything else you might want to know. I'll help if I can. Ask your doctor to check your blood CK level. Anything over 120 is an indication of muscle disease. Mine is usually 400-500.

Good luck to you. Post here whenever. Everybody here has gone through what you are experiencing right now.

Mark