Thread: scar tissue
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #20
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User
Re: scar tissue

Scar tissue formation can be a major issue, and further complicating the issue is that it's extremely difficult to predict how much scarring will occur and to what degree the scarring will affect the outcome. Scar tissue formation is almost always self-limiting, so if your body is capable of dealing with the adverse affects, in time you will usually find that the scar tissue formation becomes less of a problem. Unfortunately, when scar tissues attach to nerves (and then often to other structures,) the result can be chronic or even constant pain (or in the case of motor nerves, spasms, contracture, or some paralysis might be the outcome.) In my own case involving sensory nerves in the scalp, constant severe pain forced me to be bed-ridden for nearly a year and a a
half. My pain was actually being made worse by the narcotics I was forced to use, a real "Catch 22" situation. This was discovered after an overdose sent me to the hospital, where a change in narcotics made all the difference. Eventually my scar tissue formation slowed to a crawl, and my body was able to deal with the pain, but it has taken years, and it will be a lifetime challenge.

The Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) is a very good option for failed back syndrome and other localized pain syndromes. The trial is a very simple procedure, and you will know within a day or two if it is going to help you. If you do not get sufficient relief, you may still be a candidate for and intrathecal pump (usually called a "morphine pump" although many different meds can be used.) Another option being tested is direct application of local anesthesia (with meds like lidocaine, bupivicaine, etc.) Some pain sufferers get relief from lidocaine infusions directly into the bloodstream.

A neurosurgeon may also explore options of stimulating certain areas of the brain. Although Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) has been reported in the news, other less invasive stimulation techniques might be suitable, such as motor cortex stimulation or periaquaductal gray stimulation. A neurosurgeon can discuss the various options with you, along with the risks associated with each one. The most important thing for you to realize is that you're not at the end of your rope yet; there are several options still available, so try to keep an optimistic attitude.

[QUOTE=greeneyes1966;4658082]I to have been dealing with scar tissue pain and also have tried many of the medications you also have to no avail...the only relief I do get from the pain is to be in bed....I so very much do want to know once again what a "normal life" is. My orthopedic had told me for my situation there is no operation for scar tissue because it will only form again, so I was sent to Pain Management, there they have tried 2 Transformial ESI (epidural steriod shots) I got very little relief from them, so they have offered me the Spinal Stimulator Implant, with the process of having this done I am hoping for the trial run in early Feb. with my fingers crossed. I have been reading up on the internet on the stimulator and the pain doctors have given me some dvds to watch and it does sound like an option I am willing to try at this point to hopefully get to be able to function. Best wishes to you[/QUOTE]