View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: really shy around strangers

You may outgrow this. I did, but not until my early 30s.
I got a job where I absolutely have to talk to people, and not act *weird* while doing it... and after about a year of this, I found that I could talk to anyone easily, whether in a professional or social situation.

I think that one of the main things I learned is to really listen to what the other person is saying, and then to pause for a moment- it's okay to pause. You don't have to blurt something out, just to fill the silence. Just pause long enough to formulate a reasonable and appropriate response. Don't rush yourself coming up with a response. If you do, chances are you'll say the wrong thing or what you intended to say will come out wrong.
If you do this- take the time to think your responses through- you'll soon find it's easier and less embarrassing to converse.

Someday, I hope life will put you in a similar situation, where you're forced to talk to people all day long. It will be uncomfortable at first, but it will help you grow as a person, and break free of the prison of shyness.

Good luck!

Last edited by Kali333; 01-24-2011 at 07:09 PM.