View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
(female)

elizabeth28 HB User
Saw a Pain Management dr for the first time...

I showed him my orig. mri from 2005, and the most recent mri done last week that showed the l5 s1 herniation had gotten worse. Told him that I had many esi's done by my previous dr, a spine dr, (whom I fired b/c he didn't take my pain seriously) and that the esi's didn't seem to work for me. However, this pm dr want's to do another esi. He says the way "he" does it, it should work. He gave me a script for 120 percocets 5/550(?) take 1 every 6 hours. Stopped my skelaxin, even though I told him that my right leg has muscle spams/cramps every time I lay down. He mentioned pt, but says since the nerve is irritated right now, pt won't do any good at this time. I was hoping that he would actually listen to my issues about not being able to do most of the adl's such as cooking and cleaning. I want to try the duragesic patch so I can stop taking so many pills, but I didn't even get a chance to discuss options with him..he basically told me what "we" were going to do. Is this the way 1st visits go with a pain management dr? Do they do the injections all over again because of protocal so they can justify stronger medications? The percocets don't last long enough, and I wake up in the middle of the night (if I can even get to sleep to begin with) with pain. I will go along with the esi, even though I don't think it will work...didn't work the last 3 times I had it done, "cause I do not want this guy to think I am seeking. The last esi was over a year and a half ago, so I don't think it's too soon, it's just that out of the 4 or 5 that I've had done since the orig injury in 2005, the only one that gave any relief was the very first one. The rest never worked...the pain stayed. The orig herniation in 2005 was only on the left side at L5 S1. Now it has a central herniation which is causing my right side leg pain/spasms and sciatica. I guess since the herniation is worse, maybe the esi may help, but if it doesn't, I don't know what the next step will be. He mentioned a neurologist, but I do not want surg unless absolutly necessary. I am scared of surg. One slip and I'm paralyzed or lose control of bowel/bladder functions. . I know that it's rare..practically nonexixtant, but knowing my luck....I'd be the statistic! I just want my pain addressed. I know I'll never be pain free, but I would like to get it managable, so I can cook and clean. What advice does anyone have, or what was your experience at yoour fist visit with your PM dr.?