View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hope someone can answer this,,,please!

Here's my 2...
Goitrogenic foods should only be avoided by someone who feels her thyroid is not working up to par but who can't get diagnosed. It's true that even moderate amounts of goitrogenic food can severely affect an already low-functioning gland. This was true for me when I added flaxseed to my diet after my thyroid was failing, just before my diagnosis. It just about destroyed what was left of my low natural function.

But once someone is diagnosed and has reached optimum FT4/3 levels, they no longer have to restrict moderate amounts of any of those foods. The goal is, after all, to normalize body functions. In other words, if a thyroid-healthy person can eat sensible portions of raw goitrogens every day, so should an optimally-treated thyroid patient be able to. The list of goitrogenic foods is long, and they're all otherwise healthful foods. It's fool-hardy to think you can never eat them again for the rest of your life. Once you reach optimal treatment, you should no longer consider yourself a thyroid "victim" who can't live a normal life.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
sealear (02-17-2011)