View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Son does not respect father. He's only 3!

Writeleft,

You made a lot of good points and I can't say that I disagree with any of it. The problem is I didn't explain all the details of our relationships. My father, although not a big talker, was definitly in my life. I remember doing things with my father (just the two of us) like sitting on the porch together, playing ball, going for a ride. When I was little, he was the one who would put me to bed, tuck me in and give me a kiss good night. It was a very special relationship and he was a good role model.

This is the part that may be difficult to explain: Although I knew that they were both in charge (or both the boss as you might put it), my mother (as they had agreed upon) was in charge of the household, which included disipline. There were four of us kids and we never disrespected our father. We had no reason to disrespect him. Maybe that's the key and maybe that's why it worked out so well. What reason would a 3 year old have to disrespect his father? I suppose that is the all important question.

My mother was good at discipline so we learned to behave. Therefore, when our father came home from work, we didn't need him to discipline us. We knew what the rules were.

So, in general, (keeping in mind that every family may be somewhat different) I would think if one parent is good at something, let that parent be in charge of it.

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-19-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling