View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Son does not respect father. He's only 3!

John,

Your childhood was much like mine, my mother was also in charge of us kids, the house, all the duties that were part of a similar agreement my folks had too. In fact, my dad was a military man, and as a veteran of three foreign wars (Korea, WWll, and Vietnam) he was often gone for months at a time, leaving my mom with all the duties of running the house. It was quite typical of all of my friends families, and it worked very well.

You bring up a great question..as you say the all important question, "What reason would a three year old have to disrespect his father"? For that, we will have to ask Cheerful to clarify.

The things that struck me as difficulties they are encountering have a lot to do with the fact that dad is suffering with bipolar disorder, and that they have a rocky relationship.

This is not a perfect world, and I think my scenario was not taking that in consideration. I take back my disagreement with your position...it makes a lot of sense. One thing that I do want to stick with is that the job of doing all the parenting is very hard work, and a husband that is involved in the everyday care for his son is greatly appreciated by all moms. We need to know that our men can take care of our children, and are willing to participate. Doing to all alone is a very lonely job.

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (02-21-2011)