View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
(male)

IanK4 HB User
Possible Religious OCD

Hey everyone,

I've been doing some research on scrupulosity recently, due to the fact that I have been feeling like I may have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I came across scrupulosity and religious OCD, which both began to greatly worry me.

I am a Christian and I am very passionate about my religion. I always have been, but not to the degree that I have been recently. It's very difficult for me to comprehend all of the sufferings in the world that have not plagued me as of yet, but affect so many others. I feel it as somewhat of a duty to pray for long periods of time especially in this regard, as well as several others. I really don't know if this is a problem or not. The moment I wake up in the morning, I get on my knees and pray for about 40 minutes. Throughout the day, I seem to pray somewhat relentlessly. Whenever I see a disabled person, or an ambulance goes by, or I feel as though I have sinned, I take a walk or go to a public restroom to pray in solitude. At times, I feel this is necessary and a beautiful action, but mostly it just raises a strong anxiety within me. At night, I also undergo a longer devotion, essentially repeating the devotion from the morning.

I have never given much concern to this being an issue. I have always told myself that I am experiencing something spiritually strong that takes work and patience. If this is the case, I am more than willing. But seeing as these symptoms and my several others continue to exaggerate, and that the symptoms of scrupulosity are surprisingly similar to the ones I am experiencing, I am inclined to at least investigate.

If anyone has any similar experiences or can offer any other form of assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you