View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Possible Religious OCD

Hello Ian, and welcome to the HealthBoards. You will find a lot of very understanding and knowledgeable folks here, ready to support you while you search for answers to your questions.

This is the first I have heard of scrupulosity, so I did look it up and have a basic understanding of it now.

While it shows a great sense of empathy for others, that you pray for those less fortunate than yourself, anytime things go out of balance, or become overwhelming for us...it is time for introspection, as it seems you have been doing. The fact that you identify with these two illnesses means you should start seeking some professional advice, before they begin to interfere with your daily life more so than they are now.

If it is found, by a good doctor, that you are suffering from OCD, you then have the opportunity to manage it in the most effective way, rather than wrestle with it alone. OCD is quite treatable, and a good philosophy I have learned is to A-Access, A-Accept and A-Adapt. This idea was shared with me from a very wise friend of mine who has overcome incredible odds due to an industrial accident that left him paralyzed and stroked out, 18 years ago. I love the concept and find it is such a good fit in so many cases where adversity meets us.

I am sure others will be along to add their suggestions and support to you,,,my best..