View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
(male)

jrlaguna HB User
Elevated ANA after breastfeeding and Pregnancy-Hormonal Issues cause False Positive?

Hello,

My wife has been back to back pregnant and nursing for the last 5 years, with 3 kids. She just finished breastfeeding 2 weeks ago and had some blood work done last week for some mild Post Partum Depression. The tests came back with an ANA of 1:160 Speckled. The doctor (neurologist/psychiatrist) is having her run more tests, but, she said that she "tested positive" for Lupus, but, it is most likely a "false positive"

I have been doing much research but haven't seen anything regarding hormonal issues post pregnancy leading to False Positives. Is this possible due to hormonal issues? Is this likely?

We just came back from a tropical vacation and she was in the sun all day with no reaction or rashes etc. She really has had none of the symptoms with the exception of Fatigue and Mild Depression, but this is consistent with having 3 kids 4 and under and working a full time job. She has had the below too, but no muscle or joint pains to speak of.

She had a canker sore in her mouth, once a few years ago, but no other mouth or nose issues.

When she took the blood test she had a sinus infection, most likely from the kids who have all been sick the past couple of weeks. I have heard infection can cause elevated ANA.

She had shingles a few weeks ago and took an antiviral and it cleared, but the Derm attributed this to being stressed and overwhelmed.

My question is, her hormones are really changing right now and her body has been through alot, and she just started her period again for the first time in 5 years; does this really sound like a possible Lupus condition, or is it more likely just the hormones and body changes etc.

BTW, she is doing more specific Lupus blood test tomorrow.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by jrlaguna; 03-02-2011 at 08:18 PM.