View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: TSH range source, and a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB28 View Post
I don't have a range for the t4, but would assume it's the normal range?
It's where your result falls within the particular range used that matters. Put your result into a different range and the picture can change dramatically. The lab that runs my tests uses .8-1.8, but there was a question on the board today about FT4 within a range of .61 - 1.12. Compare where your result stands in each of those ranges, and you end up with likely adequate FT4 using the narrower range and severely hypothyroid in the broader one. So range is vitally important in evaluating where you stand. Just find out from your MD's office or the lab.

Quote:
It's mostly that the low tsh ALONG with a low t4 seems more like a pituitary problem than thyroid.
Not necessarily at all. A hypo-functioning pituitary isn't capable of putting out that much TSH; it almost never can put out more than 1.0.

Hyper- and hypoT symptoms "cross over" frequently. One simply can't tell by symptoms alone what her T4/T3 levels are doing. In my early days of treatment, I became overmedicated. Before the labs were done, I would have sworn I was still hypo and needed more med, because that's what the symptoms seemed like. I was surprised when the results came back and more surprised when dropping the dose made me feel lots better.

Since Hashimoto's is the most common cause of low thyroid, it makes sense to start there instead of homing in on pituitary from the outset. That's why it's extremely important to have that Tg AB test. I've seen many cases here in my time on the board where people tested neg for TPO and highly positive for Tg. That's Hashimoto's, too.

It's my stand that you don't have to figure this all out on your own. That's what we pay doctors for. All you have to do is stand your ground and not leave the office until they agree to figure it out. If they still refuse, go elsewhere.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-18-2011 at 10:05 PM.