View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
simone444 HB User
Vitamins as a cause of IBS symptons

I recently discovered that my daily multivitamin (Women's One a Day) has been a major contributor to my IBS symptons over the past few years. I thought I'd share this discovery, in case it helps other IBS sufferers.

I've been basically bringing this misery on myself for years!! I've been to a Dr a few times for IBS, and have systematically cut out different types of foods, which has helped, but has never fully solved my issue. Interestingly, I've always told my Dr that I take a multivitamin, and in fact, started taking it in the first place on advice of my it never occured to me that it could contribute to my IBS.

But, I've been traveling a lot recently, and noticed that my symptons subside when I travel, which is odd since it's so much harder to eat well on the road. It finally dawned on me that I never take my vitamins with me when I travel...eureka!

I switched to a Whole Foods brand vitamin, thinking a more natural vitamin would help. It didn't. So I just went cold turkey, and was more or less IBS free for a few weeks. I've sinced incorporated Rainbow Light organic women's vitamins, and haven't had any problems with them, as they are organic and food-based, and easier to digest. Yay!

I did a little research, and found that certain vitamins, certain combinations of vitamins, and high doses of vitamins can cause IBS issues. For me, I think the issues was either Magnesium (which is not in the Rainbow Light vitamins) or high doses of vitamin C and other vitamins. I'm no longer taking a "one-a-day" type of vitamin, which I think is key. It's a little more of a hassle to take vitamins multiple times a day, but the once-a-day vitamins just have too high of concentrations for me to handle at once. I now take 2 of the Rainbow Light vitamins each day (morning and evening); so, it's less than the full dose, but it keeps my digestive system happy, and is better than no multivitamin!

Anyway, if you take a multivitamin and have IBS, you might want to try going off the vitamin for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. Good luck!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simone444 For This Useful Post:
gmak (10-12-2012), JNH45 (04-29-2012), Tam59 (03-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb