View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: help is this a sign of autism????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ane8188 View Post
yes i have a lady who is going to come and do an evaluation on him sometime next week ,but sometimes he does throw tantrums when you take things away and he gets really frustrated when you try to show him how to do something and he cant do it,he dosnt listen very well but i know he hears just fine cause as soon as he hears his favorite movie come on he comes running in the living room.but i am/was assuming that was all normal toddler behavior.and he also used to hold his hands over his ears and hum at the same time but he hesnt done that in a while..is that normal??
hands over the ears is usually to block out loud noises , my son is extremely sensitive to noises. Vacume, fire alarms , any loud sounds he does not handle well. Humming , a way to self soothe, or avoid a sound that is intolerable. Since your child has not done that in a while and has not picked up on any other "stemming" behaviors which often happens, then that is a good sign he is ok. temper tantrums are typical in 2 yr olds. What I am trying to say is that their would be a lot of behavioral signs , in autism. Not just one thing, but a whole list of behaviors that are common for young autistic children. Your child had no loss of language , which is good, even though now he repeats what he hears , it is the beggning of language.