View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
(female)

submisfit HB User
How to find a doctor willing to address my pain?

It would appear that introductions are in order. I'm 21 years old, and I have a (undiagnosed) chronic illness. All that doctors have really been able to establish at this point is that it's real, and progressive.

In the past 3 years, I've pingponged from diagnoses as diverse as MS, schizophrenia, myesthenia gravis, mitochondrial disease, and lupus. While my doctors have been good at addressing most of my concerns, one has been pushed to the side. Pain.

I have multiple systems in pain, some with confirmable cause (back pain:neuromuscular scoliosis. Stomach pain: 2 ulcers found with endoscope, and etc) In the past I've tried:

Cymbalta (couldn't stop vomiting)
Amitriptyline (aggravated sleep problems)
Gabapentin (currently taking, might be helping a little)
Carbmazepine (didn't really take long enough, but the doctor at the health center wouldn't share what she saw on follow up that indicated discontinuation)
Benzodiazepines (used as muscle relaxant, made my back much worse.)
Physical therapy (6 week course, muscle weakness was worse at the end than at the beginning.)
Aspirin/Advil (little help, was told to stop when the ulcers were found)
Tylenol (still take, don't really feel like it helps)
Various SSRIs
and procaine patches.

The pain has steadily gotten worse, and at this point I can probably expect there to be 2 days within a 3 week juncture that I am hurting so badly that I am unable to get out of bed. On more than one occasion, I've soiled myself and had to lie in it because I just couldn't get up to go to the bathroom.

The anaesthesiologist to whom I was referred is uncomfortable prescribing any opioid medication to someone as young as myself (21,) and has outright told me that I'm a kid, and don't know how bad opioid dependence will be at 35 if I start now.

What I'm really asking is, how can I find a doctor who is willing to treat me like the person that I am? I have a fantastic amount of supplemental information to provide that would demonstrate I'm not just a junkie off the street; abnormal MRI, abnormal EMG, abnormal biopsy, and so forth.

Also, if you have recommendation of a non opioid treatment, I would absolutely love to hear it. I don't feel like opioids are the only thing that I'd be willing to do, I just feel like I've really exhausted my other options.

Thank you so much for any help that you can offer. Also, apologies for the typing; I'm sure there are plenty of errors, as is the wonder of typing on a netbook keyboard.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: submisfit
holypie (07-26-2011), janinadispaltro (04-15-2011)