View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Asperger's needs to be diagnosed properly

Yes, and I do think that their are seervices offered by the school district to help children diagnosed with Asperger's. They might not need a special day class, depending on any any other behaviors or disorders, often found in Aperger's. Meaning that these children can have other things going on with them besides Aspergers. Sometimes, ODD is a issue with Asperger's, or ADHD . Their can be Dual comboination disorders that overlap each other, therefore intervention is needed. Asperger's main issues are social problems , and being obseesed over their own interests. These children or young adults typically have high or average IQ's, however have some severe problems interacting with others and seem not to fit in . This is the main difference in high functioning autism vrs Asperger's. Also Asperger's syndrome, their is no language delays when developing speech as young children.
My son is high functioning autism, and after his evaluation by a neuropsycholigist , I was told it was autism , not Asperger's because he had the language delay as a small child. He also has a mild to moderate low IQ .