View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
(female)

mothersuperior HB User
I have a daughter with aspergers

I'm new to this site and wanted to add my experience. My daughter always behaved a bit on the odd side but I never new why until I read an article about AS in a magazine. She wasn't diagnosed properly until she was 16. In middle school especially, she would insist on wearing the same clothes day after day until they would literally be falling off her or wear her favorite winter boots until she actually grew out of them even in the summer. When it came time to get her school picture taken, she would freak out and yell and insist she didn't want to get her picture taken and would not explain why. I had a great deal of trouble at her school. Since we are very poor, I believe they thought we were white trash and just didn't buy her any clothes and her odd behavior was related to bad parenting. Thankfully, she had several brothers in school at the same time. They explained that she had plenty of clothes and nothing was going on at home to explain her acting out. There is so much we parents are expected to know! I wish I had known about AS sooner.

The following user gives a hug of support to mothersuperior:
ninamarc (03-30-2011)