View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: I feel like I am walking on a boat in choppy water - will this ever go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I have had both symptoms for about a year. There's a ton of info on BPPV on various sites. It is a treatable condition. My BPPV only happens once in a while and doesn't bother me most of the time. However, the balance symptom you mention is chronic and is with me 24/7. It's likely an inner ear problem, and I'm not confident there's a treatment for it.
Labyrinthitis causes damage to the balance nerve, and there is no treatment to heal the damage. However, the beauty of the brain is that it is extremely adaptable. Patients can recovery from damage to the vestibular system because the brain can compensate for this damage and learn to ignore it. However, it takes time to train the brain. Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy will greatly speed up this process. Before starting VRT, make sure that there are no other conditions causing your symptoms, as those conditions would likely have a different type of treatment.

Last edited by bindar; 04-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.