View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
(female)

ClaudiaJane HB User
Re: Ankle Fusion vs BTK Amputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Lana View Post
Hi ClaudiaJane,

Mt OS here does the Etyl procedure and they are all physically active now and running, etc. One is doing triathlons. My issue right now is family acceptance. I am having a hard time with that. I also worry about the rsd spreading or being so bad that I won't be able to wear a prosthesis. But, no matter what I do it could spread...
Good luck with your decision. How does your family feel?
Hello Kris,

I hope your RSD problem gets resolved as soon as possible. My friend who had it said it was awful and she still has scars on her legs many years later. Her boyfriend happened to catch a taxi in San Francisco with someone who was an expert on the condition and because of that chance incident she is free of it and has been for years. Ah, so many things happen to us and not altogether by chance, don't you think?

I am 65 years old, recently retired, and didn't feel old at all until my accident. Oddly enough I don't even feel particularly old at present, now that the initial recovery period for all my broken bones has passed. (Except for the talus, of course.) My husband and I have been very active. I do not have time to waste with surgeries which are a higher risk the older you get.

How did you injure your foot? Mine was crushed by the car's engine, which came through the fire wall, in a bad auto accident.

I do hope that your husband will become more accepting of the situation and could begin to think more along the lines of my spouse.

Today was actually spring-like weather after an unusually long and cold winter where we live. I was able to go out for pleasure for a change in a multi-stop day, instead of just another doctor's appointment. Good for the morale but I'm awfully tired now.

I arranged with my surgeon's office to fax all my Xrays, operation descriptions and office visit summaries to the 2nd opinion orthopedic surgeon this afternoon. After she reviews them her secretary will call me to make an appointment if she feels she can be of help. At least she isn't wasting money uncessarily.

Good luck to you - and to the others who are posting, as well as any who may be lurking.

Claudia