View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User
Re: Do you think in words or pictures?

I am quite right brained. I am so visual that I can remember just about anything by taking notes. My dreams always have strong images, with definite meaning. I only wish I had the artistic skill to paint what I see. When I read words I see images unfold in my mind like a movie. And isn't that what words are...just descriptions of life, like numbers that reveal the amounts?

I enjoy reading because words tell a story. I suppose some are information gatherers, that don't really care much about the narrative, but rather care about the action of collecting information. Perhaps the data collectors are the left brained.

We are not born already knowing words, letters, numbers, language. So it seems that left brain thinking is acquired, and may even become an escape from some of life's painful inconsistencies. The right brain can 'see' both the horrifying and the beautiful. Anyone can practice accessing the right brain by allowing the brain to switch from the left to the right. Written words describe and have meaning that transcends alphabets. Letters are simply symbols like numbers. So we can ask ourselves, 'what do I see'.

And, neither pictures or words adequately reflect what a writer or artist means to convey. It seems to me that the meaning necessarily always comes from the receiver.

Strange. No wonder communication between two people can be so difficult, at times.

Last edited by jillian4; 04-16-2011 at 01:36 AM.