View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
(female)

a042810 HB User
Re: Pain under right rib cage- only at night!

I had a similar pain about 6 months ago. It was following a very fatty meal. The pain was most intense when I inhaled deeply. The only thing I could do to relieve the discomfort was to lay on my left side. When I was up and about during the day just felt sore in the area, no real pain unless I pressed in on it - although I did notice my stools were lighter in color than normal. I was convinced it was a gallbladder attack but I was very concerned it might be something more serious.

I didn't go into the ER because, as luck would have it, my yearly physical was in a few days. As a precaution, my GP ordered an abdominal ultrasound, which was completely negative (aside from a slightly "coarse" appearance to my liver - which they dismissed as unrelated).

It took about a week, but basically by the time I got the results from my ultrasound, I was feeling better. My entire physical, including all my labs were completely normal. My GP said to just watch what I eat and if it happens again, to call. I have not had the issue since, but I have been watching my diet more (especially how much fat and sugar I eat).

Last edited by a042810; 04-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.