View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE, please explain???

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsy123 View Post
hi everyone,
I went to see my consultant today, he said after running ALL blood tests for Lupus etc, they came back negative apart from the Shrimers test, that was positive. However due to my symptoms he want to start me on one asprin a day and a drug called Hydroxychloroquine. (I made him write it down), I have no idea why he wants to give this to me as the tests came back negative, also what will this do for me. Even though as I say again, negative tests, he does want to see me again. I asked him DO I HAVE LUPUS....he couldnt really say yes but I kind off got the feeling he want saying no either....bit confused here.
Has any else had this drug, how does it work, what is it for?.....Thanks..
Hi Topsy, I have recently started taking this medication myself along with Prednisone. My Rheumy who practices in a major city university hospital isn't sure after several visits and lots of tests if I have seronegative RA, if it's Lupus or some other connective tissue disease so he put me on these two drugs saying that he would begin treatment for any of these 3 with this combination. I did great on high doese of Prednisone but now at lower dosages not that great. I have been on Plaquenil for about 6 weeks now so it hasn't fully kicked in yet. I have been to my eye doctor for an exam and a "field test". If you're going to spend any time on this medication they need to monitor your visit closely. Not sure how long I'll be on it but it's best to be safe than sorry. I have only two side effects from Plaquenil and neither are pleasant but if it helps I'll lean to deal with them. One is sweating. It's like hot flashes but I've never had them. I just feel overcome with heat and sweat from the top of my head straight down...the other is GAS. Too bad I can't fill my car with it. HOLY COW!! But, like I said, if I can get relieve from my inflammation and other symptoms I'll gladly put up with the sweats and gas. I hope you're doing well on your medications.
Take care,
Sharon