View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
(female)

Ppc11 HB User
Re: Any HPV experts-your response greatly appreciated

I had the gardasil shots, but found out after that I do have HPV and pre-cancerous cells. Have been going through a whole mess of biopsies and LEEP procedures and blah blah.

But to answer your question the best I can. I am answering this from personal experience. I have been taught that as many as 80% of women contract HPV at some point in their lives. It is nothing to freak out about, as long as you are going to your regular OBGYN appointments and having PAP smears. For most women, this is every 1 to 3 years. HPV can lie dormant in your body for decades before it produces an abnormal PAP result. But this is nothing to be concerned about, because if it is lying dormant, it is not causing any problems. When your PAP is abnormal, then it is time for concern. I see many conflicting statements, but according to my nursing school, HPV can clear it self completely from your body over time. having protected sex, and not smoking will help the process, and it will probably take a very long time, but it happens. It will be hard to tell though if it has cleared itself or if it is just dormant, unless there is a recurrence. Anyway, the point is, I would not stress out as long as your PAPs are normal. An abnormal PAP is a reason to do an HPV test. It is really not necessary if your PAPs are normal. Gardasil will not cure existing HPV infections, and it only protects you against a couple of the strains. Personally, I don't feel it did me any good. But I don't think it did any harm either. Hopefully. Hope I helped!!!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-03-2011 at 05:11 AM.