View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
(female)

mrsboston HB User
Re: I think I have skin cancer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52ken View Post
Hello and look up the facts before you see the dermatologist. Most people that get skin cancers are over 50 and the only skin cancer that is really dangerous are internal skin cancers called melanoma. Most people get a pink sore that doesn't go away called Basal Cell and it can be removed very easily and is not a life threat. Blood tests don't show skin skin cancer an only a biopsy can tell and they are only done if the doctor thinks it looks suspicious. Dermatologists know by looking at your skin and can tell you what kind they think they are. I have had 4 Basal Cells skin cancers all found at age 58 and I play tennis and am in the sun a lot. You can google skin cancer pictures to look at some pictures but you could have 100s of moles and not ever have one skin cancer. Even if you do the Dermatologist can burn off or cut out w/o a problem. It can get kind of expensive though. Take care and stay out of sun between 10 AM and 4 PM. I hope that helps and don't worry about it because worry doesn't solve anything.
Hi there and thank you for the information I read these are most common between 15 and 29. I am not much concerned with the moles as I am a growth on my foot on second toe in on the bottom. Its brown, does not look like a mole because it is not round, its pretty big actually. I noticed it first a few years ago though it was smaller, never paid much attention was young busy and did not know much about skin cancer. I heard this cancer is rare but still a lot of people get it. The Malanoma is the one I am scared of. The thing I have looks a lot like it though its not as rotten looking as some of the ones I have seen. I wish I would have got it checked long ago. I also noticed there is a brown spot on the toe next to is also, its pretty big though I never noticed it before. I will see the skin doctor though just to be for sure maybe if I have enough money. Sorry wanted to add that the one on my foot is not round its more long I guess you could say, not shaped the same all the way around.

Last edited by mrsboston; 05-22-2011 at 02:16 AM.