View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
(female)

SickCoccyx HB User
Angry morphine sulfate ER to replace OxyContin? HELP!

Hello, everyone.

I am 29 and have a severely fractured tailbone. They think I broke it having my son in January, 2010 but didn't notice it until I fell in the end of October, 2010. That's when the REAL pain began...

I have a good PCP who is a wonderful man but I am just so frustrated every single day. He's sent me to a neurologist who gave me pain meds and said I'd probably have to have the whole tailbone removed but didn't know of any doctors that did the surgery anymore. She sent me for an injection into the sacrococcygeal joint, and the doctor doing the injection yelled out "WHOA!" when the Xray image of my tailbone came onto the screen that was guiding the injection. He said that he'd only seen one other tailbone like mine (he was in his 60s) and that there was no way the the injection would work (but, of course, he gave the injection anyway...). That didn't work.

I had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon who called me personally after he saw my films to say the break was too severe and he didn't treat cases like mine. I saw another orthopedic surgeon who told me that there was nothing he could do except prescribe narcotics and maybe it would get better in 10 years (10 YEARS WITH PAIN LIKE THIS????!!!!!!). I see a new orthopedic surgeon next week.

I see a chiropractor and take lots of fish oils. I started glucosamine chondroitin today and got a prescription for yoga which I start tomorrow. I take OxyContin 40 mg twice a day and oxycodone every 4 hours. The OxyContin is so expensive and the insurance company told me in order to save money I should switch to morphine sulfate ER. I can not BELIEVE that the insurance company PHONE OPERATOR is now telling me what drugs to take! I have always trusted the medical industry until now, when something has gone wrong with me. I am a trainer and nutritionist and I believe in mind-body healing. Sorry that I have posted all this information, but I am new here and wanted to give a background.

So that's my big question - will the morphine sulfate ER work as well as the OxyContin? What about being tired? I have a little boy and I can't be out of it all the time. Is there anything else that works JUST AS WELL as OxyContin and is cheaper? I'm so sick of altering my life around this damn pain. Please HELP if you have any input. Also, I am in the Pittsburgh area. Thank you.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-30-2011 at 08:57 AM.