View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

jackball502 HB User
sudden psychosis 64 year old male

My father is 64 years old and is currently being held in a mental health clinic. He suffered depression for about a year in his mid 50's, but that is the only history of mental health issues he has had in his life. Over the past few weeks he had been the same man I have always known, and then he started being paranoid about crime in his neighborhood. The next thing I knew he said that he was being followed and watched everywhere he went. We decided to look for help once he felt as though there were cameras watching him through the television. He went to the ER about a week ago. They performed CAT scan, chest x-rays, and blood work. Nothing was found and he has been sent to a Mental Health clinic where is confined in a room. We can only visit him for 2 hours a day late in the evening. There has been no current alcohol abuse, and he has never been involved in drugs. Up until two weeks ago he was baby sitting my 13 month old son and was fine, the picture of health. What happened? They current diagnosis is Psychosis, but why? Will he ever come out of it? Will he ever be the same again? No new stresses have come into factor, except for the obsession with the evening news and the paranoia about being watched. When I talk to him on the phone, he is not sure if he is already dead. I tell him, you're okay. We are here, and we want you home. He tells me he is not getting out, because of all the bad things he has done. He may have had a mean streak in his younger days, but never spent anymore than a weekend in jail. Can someone tell me what happened to my dad? He has a wife, 4 children, 9 grandchildren, and 4 great-grandchildren, and all of us want him to come home.