View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
(male)

SluggerHMA HB User
"PPH" Hemorrhoidectomy - My experience/Recovery

I am a healthy 38 year old man dealing with hems for more than 10 years. My dad had his hems surgically removed when he was 38. I was 7 at the time and still remember the harshness of his recovery. Now, my 7 year old son isn't too happy about what's going on!

My wife, four boys and I live a very active life. Every time my hems would prolapse, it was three weeks down the drain. Everything stopped. I needed a solution to the problem. In the last three years the symptoms intensified even more; bleeding after BM's for months at a time and constantly having to push hems back in.

My father is a doctor; one of his colleague was the pioneers of this new procedure. I decided to go with the experienced doctor.

Luckily I did not do much research on PPH, for I would have been petrified after all I have read here post-surgery. I have had ACL's on both of my knees and appendix removed. Out of all my surgeries, this has been the most painful and horrific experience. After the surgery, the doctor ordered for me not to be released until I urinate. Well, it did not happened. 6 hrs. after the surgery I could not pee. My bladder was so full I thought I was going to die. A catheter was my only option. OH-MY-GOSH! day 1 passed and I still could not pee on my own. I was so afraid of the catheter that I drank little water the first 2 days. BIG MISTAKE!

Days 3 - 5 I was getting better, but still no BM. I was getting very concerned. I called the doctor and he suggested I take some ducolax and see what happens. I was so constipated I felt I had a plug up my rectum. "Maybe the doctor stapled my *** shut" I thought repeatedly. No BM after the 6th day. The doctor suggested I drink a bottle of magnesium citrate and if I did not have BM's after 6 hours to drink another bottle.

I went to hell and back. I cried, screamed and punched the walls. I honestly thought I was going to die. After 7 days, gravity won. I had a solid turd blocking the way.

LESSON NUMBER 1. Drink lots of water, eat lots of fiber. I am still on day 7, don't even know how I am typing. I only know one thing, from now on I will treat my digestive system with utmost respect and total dedication. What I experienced today will leave and indelible memory as a reminder to take care of myself.

I will try to update this post as the days go by. I am still in a great deal of pain. Only taking meds at night.