View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Sacroliac Joint dysfuction.... is there any relief??

There are several threads on the back board pertaining to SI joint dysfunction that you may find helpful.

It sounds like you know WHAT the problem is, just can't find someone to help you deal with it. I would suggest trying to find someone who will deal with this issue rather than pain management to mask the problem.

In your case, you indicated that the problem is one of the joints being too "loose." If your problem is similar to mine, it is the ligaments that hold the SI joints in place. They need to stretch out for childbirth and then the ligaments are supposed to regain their elasticity and "tighten" up to hold the joints back in place. Sometimes the ligaments are just too lax and do not perform optimally and the result is joints that move more than they should.

The above poster mentioned prolotherapy, which is about the only procedure that directly deals with ligament issues. In addition to (or, instead of) the injections, you might also try the PRP therapy...this stands for platelet rich plasma which is injected at the doctor's office into the SI joints, or into the ligaments (I've not had it done yet, so am not sure where the needle goes in!). They remove a small amount of blood from your arm, spin it out in a centrafuge to separate out the plasma, and that is then injected back into your body.

The platelets have a bigger role in the healing process than was initially thought. They release growth factors (cytokines), which aid in the healing of injured tissues. The loose ligaments are bathed in this protein-rich plasma which helps regenerate tissue and in effect, helps the ligaments become more elastic...which eventually helps to tighten up those SI joints. The ligaments do not have much of a blood supply so it is difficult for them to get the nourishment they need in order to heal. The addition of the PRP is apparently sufficient to encourage the ligaments to regenerate.

It might be worth a try. I don't know if the procedure is covered by insurance, but it is becoming mainstream in sports medicine and many athletes are now receiving these injections.

If you could tighten up those ligaments, it might resolve the majority of your pain, if, indeed, the SI joints are the pain generator.