Thread: Type 2 Actos + Amaryl
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
(male)

NewdestinyX HB UserNewdestinyX HB User
Re: Actos + Amaryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa65 View Post
Hello, my name is Isa and I'm scared....
Since being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes some months ago, my doctor can't seem to find a combination that works for me. I was on Metformine ( 1 x 1000mg and 1 x 500mg), 2 mg Amaryl and aspirine daily. I have yet to have a fasting BG lower than 140.
Last week she put me on 1 x 4mg and 1 x 2 mg Amaryl. Still nothing.
Today she added Actos 30 mg to the mix.
After reading the recent bladder cancer posts, I'm very scared to even touch this medicine.
I feel like I just received a life sentence....
Isa, take a deep breath. If you're a 'prayerful person' - say a quick one to whatever 'deity' you ascribe.. This is NOT a life sentence -- in the sense that you will 'die'. Diabetes is what I call 'the merciful' disease, in that it can be totally controlled by us. The oral meds only have 'good effect' for some people - AND - only in combination with pretty drastic diet changes. Not all of us can simply 'cut out all the carbs' because we're scared and most of the 'comfort foods' in life are 'carbs'. I was RIGHT where you are two years ago this July 15. And my life is TOTALLY under control and waay better and there was no worse CARBAHOLIC on the planet than me at 302 lbs (now 235).. Like you - the oral meds didn't work -- but some of them take about 4-5 weeks to build up in your system. So you need to give it time. Keep in mind, I'm no doctor - but eventually I 'personally' asked the doc to go on insulin. He was thrilled I asked - because it's way more effective than the oral meds in most cases. Have you read about insulin.

First things first. Tell me a little about what you've done in terms of diet modification so far... Let's take this a step at a time..

A friend,
Meds: 6iu Lantus/day; Very little Novalog with meals
Diet: LowER carb 70-100g carbs a day
Exercise: 8-12 miles cycling 3-5x/week

The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:
Isa65 (07-03-2011)